Eye Allergies with our Austin Optometrist
Eye allergies can diminish quality of life in a number of ways and cause uncomfortable symptoms making it difficult to wear contact lenses and reduce clarity of sight and visual acuity. Eye allergies can manifest on their own, but they are most commonly connected with general allergies that affect the sinuses, head and upper respiratory area. In some cases, allergy symptoms can affect the skin around the eyes, the eyelids and the face.
Your Austin optometrist Austin Vision Center offers a range of solutions for the symptoms of eye allergies. We can assist you in connecting with the ideal prescription eye drops as well as vision correction solutions that work around the symptoms of eye allergies.
Common Symptoms of Eye Allergies
Over the counter, allergy medications and eye drops can offer a significant amount of relief for those suffering from seasonal allergies. Symptoms such as itching and burning can be greatly reduced.
The top and most common symptoms of eye allergies include:
- Watery eyes
- Swelling and inflammation
Common Causes of Eye Allergies
Eye allergies can be seasonal, environmental or both. Consult your Austin optometrist for more specific solutions and advice on common causes of eye allergies. Some of the most common eye allergy triggers include:
- Seasonal pollens released by foliage at certain times of the year
- Mold spores released in certain areas or at certain times of the year
- Dust mites or other pests
- Chemicals in the environment
- Cleaning solvents
- Chemicals in health and beauty products
- Dirt or dust exposure
- Pet Dander
Austin Optometrist Offers Solutions for Eye Allergies
There are also many things eye allergy sufferers can do themselves to minimize the symptoms and discomfort of eye allergies. Some of the most helpful and beneficial recommended by your Austin optometrist include:
- Minimize outdoor activities during allergy season
- Keep windows and doors closed during allergy season
- Do not use household products that contain chemicals or irritants
- Keep your home environment as free of dirt and dust as possible
- Wash and rinse the eyes frequently during allergy season, especially after being outdoors
- Wear glasses instead of contact lenses during periods of high discomfort
Make an Appointment with our Local Austin Optometrist
In addition to eye allergy treatment, your Austin optometrist can assist you with glaucoma testing, eye disease management, LASIK and other eye surgery co-management services. If you are suffering with eye allergies or any other eye health or vision issue, contact your Austin optometrist Austin Vision Center today. We’ll provide you with ideal solutions to optimize your vision and maximize your comfort level and quality of life. Call us today (512) 477-2282.